Skip to main content
I have to admit that a lot has been going on since my last post. In between school and a whole lot of things called ‘Life’. To be honest though with this particular post I have been procrastinating a lot, but well here I am. I wrote it right after the world cup which most of us were probably just watching as a game.

For the past month, the world was talking about one thing and one thing only that is the World Cup. Even those who are not football lovers were sucked into the world of football. The world cup was everywhere and if you had no privilege of watching it live, am sure social networks kept you informed about the biggest football event in the world. And thank you to WhatsApp statuses, even in transit we were able to watch those 64 games.

This year’s world cup was particularly full of surprises and lessons, it got me thinking about life. Life is so much like football, you win some, lose some, draw some and sometimes you have to fight. Life is a rollercoaster. Sometimes you are up and sometimes you are down. But most of all it is full of surprises and lessons.

First things first, Germany the previous world cup champions were booted out in the group stages. People laughed, people talked. Everyone was talking about how the mighty giant failed. It came as a surprise, no one saw it coming. It must have been very painful for Germany. As painful as it was it was a lesson. Life is a cycle, sometimes we are at the top, sometimes we may find ourselves at the bottom but it does not mean that we should stop at the bottom.it is up to us to choose to ask why is this happening or better yet what a certain experience is trying to tell you. Instead we need to fight and make a comeback.

One of the most unique teams at the world cup was Japan. I mean they have this thing where after every game, the supporters would pick up trash at the stadium. Fifa being a huge organization hires people to do that (clean the stadium and pick up trash. Yet this is what Japan did at every game, regardless of the caretakers that were present. When they lost to Belgium, most people thought that they would just leave the stadium because they lost. It’s what I would have done, most of us would have done, I mean what is the point we lost. To everyone’s utter amazement, these guys did what they always do, cleaned the stadium and went further to clean the dressing room and hanged a thank you note. It got me thinking of how many times I wanted to act different from who I really was because of what was happening to me or around me. How many times I almost drifted from being this unique person because of circumstances? Maybe you can sit down and ask yourself the same thing.

I have learnt to continue to stand out and pursue excellence despite what life throws at me. To continue to be kind, despite being treated unkindly, to continue to Love the best way I know how to despite being hurt, to continue to stand out although blending in seems like the perfect thing to do. To continue to shut my ears from the outside world and just be myself….

Trust me, till today I think that Japan stands out despite not winning the world cup, people will always remember not that Japan lost but that it kept its consistency, standards and excellence till the end…
….in all of it there is a point anyway, everything matters

 Now let me shift my focus to England, these guys played like they wanted the world cup. They did everything they could, they had fans behind them but most of all they had faith in themselves and so did their country. They had war planes flying overhead with the words “it’s coming home”.

I am just sitting here thinking of how many statuses people put up that showed how they were anticipating the fall of England. The shade you guys eish, I was just like why are people so bitter. On the other hand, they were loyal fans and people who were still by England’s side despite their defeat.

 We often times want things, we work hard, and we do everything in our power to achieve what we want. We believe in it and then boom things go south. There are people in our lives that pretend they are for us, with us and yet they are waiting closely to hear that you failed that exam, you had a miscarriage, you broke up with your partner or you lost that job. But also there are those that genuinely care about our welfare and you will see them through these trying times.
Does this mean that England will not compete in the next world cup because they failed now? I strongly doubt.

You have to keep pushing. Keep believing what you want exists, do not stop until you get it.

There is no shame in trying. I will say it again there is no Shame in trying It’s better to try and fail but not fail to try Bridgitta Flao

 First impressions are good but last impressions matter the most.

We were all glued to our screens for the life changing moment France and Croatia.

Croatia really wanted to win that title man, they did everything they could in their power to but it wasn’t meant to happen this time. It might not seem like victory to them or to the world but the experience they had was everything they needed and more. Croatia might have lost the world cup, but one thing is for sure they won people’s hearts. They were so close yet so far away. There are a million times in my life where I was so close to getting something I really want and yet somehow it just slips through my fingers. There are times when I fight for something that I really want, yet I still lose it. When things do not go my way, I have learnt to be proud of the fact that I got that far, that I tried but most of all that I lived to experience whatever I experienced and I will live to remember that. I will always remember that sometimes losing is winning in a different kind of way.

Now look at France, the world’s champions which was almost an all-black team most of us were convinced would not have won the world cup. But well they did. From what I can remember, as a continent we were very happy that our boys had done, so were the fans from Europe and all over the world. These guys even came up with an anthem for Ngolo kante in the time of excitement. Photographers form the world famous outlets captured this historic moment. i do not know if you noticed but while they were still at the host city, the black players were positioned in front when raking photos. But once they got back to France, all the black players were lined up at the back. I don’t know if you noticed but I pay attention to detail.

Honestly I cannot begin to imagine how they felt, after working hard I believe they thought that appreciation would go on for the rest of their lives if not for a while. Yet here they were just after the glory they were sidelined. I have found myself in situations were I helped people but when the fruits of our labor came, they ignored me and it hurt so bad I do not even have words to explain it. But here is something I have come to learn and appreciate over time, your rewards will come one way or the other, you just have to be patient. Believe that the best things are on their way, keep pushing and be optimistic. Every time you help people, help them the best way you know how to, nothing less. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Body Shaming

  For this particular topic, I am really struggling with where to begin so I will just simply go with the flow. Since time immemorial, my country people have always had issues with how women look and dress. Let me take you back to the time a woman was stripped naked in Blantyre town for wearing something “the streets” deemed inappropriate. The strange thing about cases like these, is the fact that most of the clothes that are seen as not fit to wear are actually sold by the same vendors that undress women. If people are not talking about how short something a woman is wearing, they are talking about how fat, slim, figureless one is. They are including in their diction words that are demeaning and inappropriate. Fast forward to last week, there was an inaugural annual fashion show event at Bingu International Conference center (BICC) by Mabel Khonje dubbed “Boudoir” which translates to a woman’s private bedroom. The fashion show was showcasing lingerie and swim suits. To keep you up t

CHOOSE KINDNESS

  14 days into July, well the second half of the year, not that anybody is actually counting but that’s that. I should have been posting this piece on July first or somewhere there about but Personally, the year has been going unbelievably “Jumanji” the next level for me. Will get into the “what nots “of what has been going on another time or never. All I know is I have been feeling like nothing has been going my way literally nothing. Modern slang “nothing doing” accurately describes the scenario at the moment.     Yes, it is as bad as it sounds, so I won’t be bringing to the lime light the intricate details of the scenarios but I will paint a picture in case someone out there feels like they are alone. I made it to top three of an internship that I have always wanted only to be left out, the writing gig I enjoyed so much fell through because my life was actually falling apart, I met someone who I thought I could build something with but gosh it ended in tears. So literally everything

WAKANDA FOREVer

 The last time I ever felt this kind of feeling was when Paul Walker of the fast and the furious died. I don’t even know where to begin but if you followed how excited people were about black panther then you should not be surprised at the  flowers and messages that are flooding in for Chadwick Boseman.Since time immemorial all the superheroes were white until king T'challa.When the black panther came out we could all resonate because this was the first superhero that represented us as a people, a culture and damn did he do it so well that Trump’s government wanted to partner with Wakanda not knowing it was a fictious country.Thats how much his character sold that movie.Thats how much his character gave us a sense of confidence and pride. Now behind the scenes, Chadwick was fighting a big battle, was being a real hero in everything he was going through. Yet he still entertained us, walked with his chin held high like everything was okay. He made a mark, left footprints in the sand